My god, this detox thing that I’m doing is not easy. It may be easy for others just to skip meat for breakfast and lunch. But the more I reminded myself not to have meat, the more I crave meat. CRAP. I think I screwed up because I also cut down the amount of food I had. I should have a regular portion so that I would feel full. I had a no meat noodle soup for lunch today. After that I still felt so hungry and I ate a bag of chips!!!! That totally ruin the purpose of having a detox diet. I just ate a 100g of fat! I felt guilty and depressed. I really felt “meat-attack” after 4 days of detox for breakfast and lunch. I needed some meat. As a super meat-lover, I couldn’t go too low on the meat level, or I would have this “meat-attack” symptom. There was a time when I was very broke in college, and I didn’t cook meat for a few days. I ate a lot of ramen noodles but still felt so hungry. I couldn’t even sleep. It was 3am in the morning, and I woke up and went to the kitchen. I had two pieces of pork chops in the freezer. I defrosted them, cooked them, and ate them at 3am!! These few days, I had the same feeling. I really felt I need a good meal of meat to ease my craving. I made Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon. This was probably like a 2000 calories for one steak. I knew it’s not a good thing to have when I wanted to lose weight. But I did watch out for my portion. I had a very small piece. Not bad. Tomorrow, I’ll go back to the boring detox meals. I had never made Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon before. But I had this once in at the Marc Charles Steakhouse. It was so good. The steak was completely wrapped with bacon. Tonight, I tried to wrap 3 pieces of bacon around a small piece of steak, it wasn’t as easy as I thought. But it was all worth it because the steak was very juicy and tender. Besides, I didn’t have to pay a fortune for the meal.
- Filet Mignon, 2 pieces (small, about 0.4 pound each)
- Bacon, 6 pieces (I put 3 pieces per steak, you can use less or more)
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the side of the steak.
- Wrap the second piece of bacon around the steak, make sure it wraps around the ends of the first piece of bacon, ie hide the ends of the first bacon inside.
- Then wrap the third piece of bacon around the meat, and hide the ends of the second bacon inside the third piece. This is kind of tricky because what I learned was the bacon may fall off if I didn’t seal the edges carefully. I could have use a piece of toothpick to pin it. But I didn’t have any toothpick.
- Start the grill, or you can cook it in a frying pan.
- Put the side with the ends of the bacon facing down first. In this way, the weight of the steak will press down the edges to stay in place. The cooking time varies according to how you like your steak cooked. I cooked it for like 6 minutes on one side. Then flip it over and cook it for another 6 minutes. Take it out of the heat, let it rest for three minutes or so. That was like medium. You can sprinkle a little bit of pepper while it is being cooked. I didn’t put any salt since bacon is kind of savory. Serve hot. I grilled some shrimp as well to make it surf and turf.