I was really in the mood of trying something new. I needed to do something to de-stress. Work hasn’t been going on too well. Hopefully the coming Chinese New Year can bring me better luck. For now, food is my comfort. LOL. I got a bunch of meat and other stuff from the grocery store the other day. I heard it’s going to snow again next week. I got a packet of very thin and lean center cut pork chops. The meat looked really good. I don’t usually make pork chops because most pork chops that I found in regular American grocery stores were like an inch thick, which were too thick in my opinion. It wasn’t easy to find the thin cut pork chops. I decided to make Baked Pork Chops and Rice. This is a very common Hong Kong dish that I grew up with. I remember I only made this once back in my college days. I cooked the rice first. I marinated the meat, and then pan fried them. I made the sauce. I put the pork chops on top of the fried rice. I added the sauce. Sprinkled some cheese, and then baked the whole thing for a little bit. It was more work to make this dish compare to what I usually made. But I really needed to occupy myself with something that took my mind off work.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- Cooked rice, 3 cups
- Egg, 1
- White pepper, a dash
- Scallion, 1 stalk (optional), cut into dices
- Pork chops, 1 pound (thin cut, prefer boneless center cut)
- Soy Sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, ½ tsp
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch, 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese, ½ cup (Optional)
- Canned tomato, 1
- Onion, ½, chopped into dices
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp
- Ketchup, 1 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce, a few drops
- Cornstarch 1 tsp
- Water, 3 Tbsp
- Pan fried the cooked rice. Add an egg. Mix it well. Add a dash of white pepper and salt. Optionally, you can add chopped scallion to the rice. Put it in a container that can be used for baking.
- To prepare the pork chops, use the back of the knife to make some cut marks on the meat first. This helps to tenderize the meat and helps the meat to absolute the seasoning. Flip the meat over and make more cut marks.
- In a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and Chinese cooking wine. Add pork chops. Mix them well with the seasoning. Add cornstarch and mix them well.
- Use a large frying pan. Spray non-stick cooking oil on it. Use high heat. Put pork chops in the pan. Let it cook untouched for 2 minutes on one side. Flip them over and let it cooked for another couple of minutes or until cooked. They should cook fast since the meat is thin cut. Turn off the heat. Put the pork chops on top of the rice in a baking container. You can cut the pork chops in pieces first if you prefer. I cut them with a pair of scissors.
- Now make the sauce. Cut the onions into small dices. Use a frying pan. Add oil to the pan. Put the onion into the pan. Let it cook for 2 or 3 mins. Then add a can of canned tomato to the pan. Add a oyster sauce, ketchup and few drops of Worcestershire sauce. Mix it well. Let it cook for 5 mins in low heat.
- In a small bowl, mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Add the cornstarch to the tomato sauce. Let it cook until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the tomato sauce on top of the pork chops and rice. Sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top.
- Use the broiler on high. Put the dish into the oven and let it cook under the broiler for 5-10 mins or so until the cheese melts.