I had lunch with my buddy the other day. He retired and I haven’t seen him for a while. It was great that we got a chance to catch up with each other. He told me all the good stuff that he has been doing since he retired. And I told him all the crazy life, school and this Chicken blog. He didn’t know about this blog. I told him I put some of the pictures of the dishes on Facebook sometimes. Then he said, “Oh. That Chicken Soup doesn’t look too good”. OH thanks!!! Of course, he can be frank with me, we are friends. And I responded that Gogi berries Chinese Soup is very traditional Chinese soup. It may not be attractive to non-Chinese, but it is certainly good stuff, trust me. Anyway, I felt that I should put something here that looks more edible. HAHHAHAHA.. I presented to you my Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup tonight. It’s so easy to make, you can’t screw up. You can use chicken breast meat, or ground chicken. BTW, have you ever wonder why it is not easy to find ground chicken in American grocery stores? They sell ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey but not ground chicken. Oh well… the Hong Kong Style Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup uses ground chicken meat instead of shredded chicken meat. You can still use shredded chicken meat if you prefer. It’s not gonna change the taste of the soup. LOL.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Chicken breast or ground chicken, about less than 1/2 pound. I used 4 chicken finger sized meat.
- Sweet corn cream style, 1 can
- Egg, 1
- Chicken bouillon cube, 1 or chicken powder, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch, 1 Tbsp
- Water, 4 cups
- Scallion, 1 (optional)
- Salt, a dash
- Beat an egg. Put it aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of cold water. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Chop some scallion for garnish. Put it aside.
- We’ll poach the chicken first. Put chicken breast meat in a large saucepan. Add 2 cups of water. Use medium high heat. let it cook for 3 mins on one side. Flip the chicken strips over to the other side, cook it for another 3 mins. Turn off the heat. Remove the chicken from the pot. Put them aside. Save water in the pot.
- Let the chicken cool a little bit. Then shred them with your hands. If you like them really in small pieces, you can coarsely chop it after it is shredded. That’s what I did. Put it aside.
- Add a can of cream corn to the pot. Ya, just add it to the water there. Add 2 more cups of water to the pot. Mix it well. Use medium high heat and let it cook until it boils.
- Add chicken meat and the cornstarch mixture and chicken bouillon or chicken powder to the pot. Let it cook until it boils. The soup should be thickened. Add a dash of salt.
- Add the beaten egg to the pot. Stir the soup a little bit while you add the egg. Let it cook for a minute. Turn off the heat. Put chopped scallion as garnish.