I made Chicken Curry on Tuesday night. But I didn’t get a chance to write up the recipe till now. That’s how I felt for a lot of stuff in life. I wanted to do things earlier but didn’t get a chance to. I remember I got home like 7:15pm, and I had 45 minutes to make dinner before American Idol started at 8pm. I’m a big American Idol fan. I can’t miss it. I really wanted Chicken Curry for that night. I haven’t had Chicken Curry for a long time since I had dinner with a few Indian buddies like 6 months ago. Indian curries were so good. Unlike most Chinese, I love curry. I could have curry everyday. My college buddy and I used to make Chicken Curry a lot back when we were in school. We cooked a huge pot of curry, and we had that everyday for a whole week. Of course, our Chinese style curry was nothing as good as the curry at the Indian restaurants. I never had Indian food till I was in college, and it was fantastic. I felt in love with Indian curry after that. The curry that I made on Tuesday was more like Japanese style. I only had 45 minutes to make the whole thing from scratch befoer American Idol! Chicken cooks fast, but potato could take forever. Well.. thanked God there was microwave! I cooked the potatoes for 10 mins in the microwave first before I put them in the pot. I use 10 minutes to cut the chicken and veggie. Cook the dish for 30 mins. Heat up some ready-to-serve rice for 3 mins. I made it for the show by 8pm. It was a rush. But I was proud of myself. The Chicken Curry turned out pretty yummy 😀
- Chicken, 2 pounds (I used boneless thigh meat, you can use breast meat or even chicken with bone-in)
- Potatoes, 2
- Onion, 1
- Carrots, 2 or 3
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Ginger, 5 slices
- Nutmeg, 1 tsp
- Tumeric powder, ½ tsp
- Paprika, 1 tsp
- Garlic powder, ½ tsp
- Soy Sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 Tbsp
- Curry gravy (I used the Japanese version, I put 3 gravy cubes. You can use 1 can of Chinese curry gravy or 1 tablespoon of curry powder)
- Water, 3 cups
- Cut onion into cubes or strips. I cut some into cubes and some into strips to give it a different texture.
- Cut carrots into small pieces.
- Finely chop garlic and ginger.
- Peel and cut potatoes into big cubes.
- Use a large frying pan. Spray cooking oil. Use high heat. Put garlic, ginger, onion, carrots to the pot. Cook it for couple of minutes. Then add the spices (tumeric powder, paprika, nutmeg and garlic powder). Mix it well.
- Add chicken. Mix it well. Let it cook until the meat is half cooked. Add cooking wine and soy sauce. Cook it for another minute or so.
- Add curry gravy, sugar and water to the pot. Mix it well.
- Add potatoes. Turn the heat to low, and let it simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. If you cook the potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes before like I did, you probably need 30 minutes cooking time instead of an hour. Check the thickness of the sauce, add water if needed.
- Add a pinch of salt if needed.