It was a really nice day in NY. I played a good round of golf and met an older couple. The wife was a soft talker. She talked so softly, and so slowly, and she talked about boring stuff… She was like the Soft Talker in one of Seinfeld’s episode! I have never met anyone like that. I thought of my friends and some easy party food that I usually make. I haven’t hosted a party for a long time. I usually would make some dumplings and wings. These were popular snacks. For the wings, the Chinese BBQ sauce is the key. Char Siu Sauce is a Chinese BBQ sauce, which tastes totally different from American BBQ sauce. It has a strong sweetness. One way of doing it is to mix the Char Siu Sauce with the uncooked wings first, and then bake it. But the weather is getting so warm that I didn’t feel like baking it and making the whole house feels warm tonight. So I grilled the wings instead. The result was even better. The wings were gone fast. Everyone loved it.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Wings, 1.5 pounds
- Chinese Char Siu sauce or Chinese BBQ sauce, 1.5 Tbsp (I used the Char Siu Sauce here, it was yummy)
- Soy Sauce, 1.5 Tbsp
- Garlic powder, a dash
Steps if you are using a grill:
- In a big mixing bowl, mix Chinese BBQ sauce, soy sauce and garlic powder well. Put it aside.
- Grill wings on a grill for 5 mins on one side. Flip them over, and grill them for 5 minutes on another side or until they are kind of half cooked.
- Remove the wings from the grill. Turn off the grill. Put the wings in the mixing bowl with the Chinese BBQ sauce and soy sauce. Mix them well. Let the wings sit for 10 minutes so that the meat is seasoned. i would not suggest to mix the wings with the sauce first before they were grilled because the wings may get burned easily with the sauce on if it was cooked for a long time. If you are cooking the wings in an oven, you can marinade the wings with the sauce first.
- Put the wings back to the grill. Turn the grill heat to be medium or low. Let the wings to be cooked on one side for 10 mins. Use a brush to brush leftover sauce to the wings. Then flip them over to cook for another 10 mins. Brush more sauce to the wings while cooking.
Steps if you are using an oven:
- Mix the Chinese BBQ sauce with soy sauce and garlic powder in a big mixing bowl. Put it aside.
- Dry the wings wih a paper towel. Add wings to the mixing bowl. Let them marinade for 15 mins first.
- Preheat the oven for 375F.
- Lay a shallow baking tray with aluminum foil. Spray non-stick cooking oil on the foil.
- Put wings on the tray in one layer.
- Bake it for for about 20 mins on one side. If there are leftover sauce in the bowl, use a brush to reapply the sauce to the wings. Flip it over and bake it for another 15 mins or so on the other side or until it is fully cooked.