Chinese Chicken and Broccoli is probably the most common Chinese dish in US. To anyone who doesn’t know much about Chinese food, he/she would probably end up ordering something like Chicken with Broccoli just to be on the safe side. You can’t go wrong with that. Some of my coworkers are like that. They don’t have much gut to try new dishes. If you substitute chicken with beef, ie, Beef with Broccoli, that is truly a classic Cantonese dish. But since I’m on a diet, I am eating more chicken instead. I used chicken breast meat which made the dish super lean. It turned out very yummy. I served it with brown rice. I liked it. I don’t mind having this as my diet food.
Ingredients (Serves two):
- Boneless chicken meat, 1. 5 pounds
- Broccoli, 2 big crowns
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Garlic powder, a dash
- Soy sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Chicken powder, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 2 Tbsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch, 2 tsp
- Water, 5 Tbsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Clean and cut Broccoli into small florets. Put it aside.
- Finely chop garlic. Put it aside.
- Cut boneless chicken into slices. Put chicken in a mixing bowl. Add chicken powder, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp of cornstarch and a dash of garlic powder. Mix it well. Put it aside and let it season for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce: Add 1 tsp of cornstarch, 1 Tbsp of cooking wine, sugar, oyster sauce and water. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Optional step: Blanch the broccoli. I don’t like really under cooked or hard broccoli. You can skip this step if you don’t mind. Put broccoli into a pot. Add about two cups of water to the pot. Bring it to a boil. Let it cook for a minute. Turn off the heat. Discard the water. Put broccoli aside.
- Use a large frying pan. Spray non-stick cooking oil onto the pan. Use high heat. Add garlic to the pan. Add chicken. Keep stirring while it cooks. Cook it for 2 or 3 minutes or so or until it is fully cooked.
- Add broccoli to the pot. Stir it well with the chicken. Add the sauce. Mix it well until the sauce thickens. Serve hot.