Kung Hei Fat Choi again 🙂 It’s still the week of the Chinese New Year. Yay, we celebrate it for a week. LOL. I missed the Chinese New Year banquet at work. So I decided to make myself a special dish – Chinese Drunken Chicken – to make up my loss. This dish is so easy that you would not believe it. You steam the chicken, make a wine sauce, soak the chicken in the wine sauce overnight. That’s it. I made it once when I was in college many many years ago. My American roommate tried it, and she loved it. I was so surprised. I assume most Americans don’t like steamed chicken meat or anything that doesn’t look cook. My friend said her ABC brother (American born Chinese if you haven’t heard of the term before) doesn’t like steamed chicken because of the same reason. Oh well.. to them, I can only say they are missing a lot of good dishes. I’m making this dish because I want to start off a new year with healthy food. Fatty needs to lose weight, no more excuse. Traditional Drunken Chicken is made of whole chicken (with skin and bone). I’m showing you a fast + healthy version with boneless skinless chicken breast meat.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Chicken breast meat, 1 pound (I used boneless Chicken finger meat just for convenience, you can use thigh meat, or even a whole chicken with bone and skin, that’s the traditional)
- Chinese cooking wine, 1/2 cup (If you have the Chinese Rose wine, that’s the best)
- Fish sauce, 1/4 cup (sorry, no substitute here)
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Water, 1 to 1.25 cup
- We are preparing to steam the chicken. If you have a steamer, that’s perfect. I don’t have anything fancy, so I’m getting creative to make my own steaming device. LOL… Put chicken meat in a big piece of aluminum foil (see picture). Then fold the edges to make a pouch. Use a second piece of aluminum foil to wrap around the pouch. This will prevent water from getting into the chicken during steaming.
- Put enough water in the steamer. Use high heat, boil the water first. In my case, I put two sets of chopsticks in a pot as a steaming rack.
- When water boils, add the chicken in the steamer and steam it (with a lid on) for 25 mins. Set your timer. If you are not sure if you have enough water in the steaming, check it after 15 mins or so.
- Take the chicken out. Be careful it is extremely hot.
- Cut the chicken into bit size pieces.
- Now make the wine sauce. We need a container with a lid because we will be soaking the chicken in the sauce overnight in the refridgerator.
- Mix the wine, fish sauce, sugar, salt and water in a container. Taste it. It should be slightly salty, not too salty.
- Put the chicken pieces in the wine sauce. Make sure the chicken pieces are fully submerged in the sauce. Add a little bit of water if needed, and adjust the taste.
- Leave the chicken in the container covered in the refridgerator overnight, a good 24 hours would be even better.
Serve COLD. YAY, this is one of weird cold dish. But if you are not ready to eat cold chicken, you can put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to make it room temperature.