I mentioned I wanted to eat more healthy food. I’ve been pretty good for the last two days. I did my Cardio X last night. I talked myself out of getting Doritos at work. I had Chicken white meat for lunch. So far, so good. I decided to keep the good spirit up, I made a Chinese Salmon dish tonight. Apart from eating healthy, I do need a good brain food to keep up with school. I used to make salmon for my sister when she was in college. I told her salmon can help her be smarter cos she wasn’t smart enough. LOL… Well.. I wasn’t totally joking. Salmon is a great brain food. Everyone knows it has tons of Omega-3. But do you know it helps you to improve brain matter and your memory? Now that school starts again, I certainly need that!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Salmon with skin on, 1 pound (you can use the one without skin, but the skin really has a lot of nutrients and collagen)
- Salt, a dash
- Pepper, a dash
- Teriyaki Sauce, 2 Tbsp
- Oyster Sauce, 1 tsp
- Water, 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, 1/2 tsp
Note: This is a pan fry dish. Make sure you have your windows open to allow enough air into your house. You would not want to deal with the smoke alarm in the middle of it.
- Spray non-stick cooking oil onto a frying pan. Sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper to the pan.
- Use high heat. Put the salmon with meat down (skin up) in the pan. Cover the pan with a lid or a piece of aluminium foil. Cook it for 5-6 minutes for a thick cut of meat (like what I had in the picture), or 3-4 minutes for a thinner cut.
- Flip the fish so that the skin is at the bottom. With high heat, cook it with a lid on for 2 minutes or so. Turn down the heat to medium. Cook it with the lid on for another 3 minutes.
- The salmon should be done by now. Use a knife, cut a slit on the meat to check if it is fully cooked. The uncooked meat is darker orange in color. Turn off the heat and serve when it is done.
- To make the glaze, add Teriyaki sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and water in a small bowl. Mix it well. It’s ready to serve
- Drizzle a few drops of glaze to the fish according to your liking.
Remember to serve it hot.