Somehow didn’t really feel like going out to get food today. It’s one of those days that I would look at my pantry and see if there’s anything that can fill me up. So I decided to make fried noodles. This is not any fancy pan fried noodles that you order at a Chinese restaurant. This is another poor man’s food cos there isn’t much ingredients needed. I had this as my breakfast occassionally when I was in middle/high school. There were street hawkers selling fried noodles, congees and other goodies in the morning. I would pay a few bucks for my fried noodles. They put the noodles in a small white plastic bag, and stick a plastic folk in it, it’s totally unfancy. I could put hot sauce or hoisin sauce in if I like. I would eat that in the bus. By the time I got to school, I was done with breakfast.
Ingredients (serve 2 -3):
- Chinese dried noodles (prefer the skinny noodles, see the picture), 1/2 pound (which is half a bag)
- Ground meat, 1/4 pound (Optional. I usually use pork/beef, you can use chicken, or even turkey, or totally skip this)
- Carrot, 2 sticks
- Bok choy, 4 or 5 leaves
- Scallion, 4 stems
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Fish sauce, 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Black bean sauce, 1 tsp
- Sesame oil, 1 tsp
- Cut the carrots into thin strips. Put it aside.
- Cut the bok choy into thin strips. Put it aside.
- Finely chopped the garlic. Put it aside.
- Cut the scallions into thin strips. Put it aside.
- To prepare the sauce, add the following in a bowl and put it aside: oyster sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki sauce, and black bean sauce.
- In a big pot, boil 8 or 9 cups of water. Use high heat. When the water boils, add the dried noodles. Separate them with a fork or chopsticks. Let it cooked for 5 mins or so.
- When the noodles are cooked. Turn off the heat. Run it under cold water. Rinse it with cold water for a couple of times to get rid of the starch. Drain them well.
- In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of cooking oil, or spray oil to the pan. Use high heat. Add carrot. Stir fry it for 2 mins.
- Add ground meat to the pan. Stir fry it for a couple of minutes until it is cooked. Add a teaspoon of cooking wine. Add a teaspoon of soy sauce. Mix it well.
- Add bok choy to the pan. Mix it well.
- Add the drained noodles to the pan. Turn down the heat to medium.
- Add the sauce to the noodles. Mix it well. Stir fry the noodles for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped scallion to the noodles. Add a few drops of sesame oil. Mix it well. Let it cook for 1 more minute.