I’m getting stressed out with the amount of work I have to deliver this week. It’s not even funny. Plus I got a final exam next week. Back in my college days, we made Ginseng Chicken Soup all the time. We were all foreign students. Our parents all gave us Ginseng and made sure that we had ingredients to make some Ginseng Chicken Soup once in a while. Ginseng has the power of rejuveation and reduce fatigue. So whenever our exams were approaching, we would make Ginseng Chicken soup to get the last minute energy boost. One of my friend tried Ginseng Chinese Soup for the very first time, and he said he was wide awake the whole night, and he wasn’t tired. So he couldn’t fall asleep. I’m totally the opposite now. I can fall asleep anytime. My brain is so tried. I certainly can use a little bit of energy boost for this coming week. I don’t even know if I would survive these few days. I looked at the soup mix that mom gave me. Besides Ginseng, she also put fish maws in it. Fish maws are some funky stuff that Chinese cherish. It’s basically gas bladder of large fish. It sounds pretty crazy just thinking about it. But it is one of those expensive delicacies. It is high in collagen. If you can afford making fish maw for daily consumption for two weeks or so, you can definitely tell the difference in your skin. So combining the Ginseng and fish maw, this soup can boost your energy while keeping you pretty. LOL.
- Ginseng, a handful
- Fish maws, 3 or 4 pieces
- Chicken, 1.5 pounds, I used about 6 chicken drumsticks.
- Dioscorea Opposita, a big handful (Optional, these are japanese dried yam, white in color, you can get them from Chinese grocery stores at the soup mix aisle)
- A lot of water
- Pre-soak the dried fish maw over night first.
- Add ginseng, fish maws, chicken in a crock pot. Add hot water in it. Leave about 1 inch room on top. Don’t over fill the water.
- Turn the heat to be high.
- Set your timer. After 6 or 7 hours, the soup is done. Note I put all the ingredients in the crock pot, and then went to bed, and the soup is done the next day when I woke up.
- Add a pinch of salt for taste.