I haven’t cooked pork chops for a long time. I have almost forgotten pork is the other kind of white meat if you choose the lean one. I am kind of tired of cooking the same few dishes over and over again. I made King Do style Pork Chops last night. The original dish should be called King Do Ribs. I used the pork chops instead of ribs to cut down the fat. Ya, every little bit helps. But it was still good. My buddies and I used to order set dinners at some Chinese restaurant when we were in college. With a set dinner, it was fixed price, and the dishes were pre-selected as well. We usually ordered a fixed dinner for 6 or so. It included some Chinese soup, some appetizer dish, stir-fried crabs or shrimps, steamed or fried chicken, a steamed fish, King Do Ribs or some meat dish, some stir-fried vegetable, rice, fruit or dessert. It was a great deal for the variety and amount of food we got. It was like a mini-banquet. We definitely got our money worth it.
Ingredients (Serves 2) :
- Pork Chops, 1 pound (boneless would be better)
- Small Onion, 1
- Ketchup, 2 Tbsp
- Worchestershire sauce, 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 2 Tbsp
- Corn starch 1 Tbsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Garlic powder, a pinch
- Pepper, a pinch
- Cut the onion into thin strips. Put it aside.
- You need to tenderize the pork chops first. If you have one of those fancy thing that looks like a rubber spikey hammer, use it, or you can do what I did. Use the back of a knife and hit the meat a few times. This could help to create more surface area for the meat to absorb the sauce later.
- Add the corn starch to the meat, and just kind of dust or coat it.
- In a large frying pan, spray or add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Use high heat. Put the meat on the pan. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Let it cook for 2 mins on one side. Flip it over, and cook the other side for another 2 mins or so. If you have very thick chops, cook each side for 3 mins. Remove the pork chops from the pan and put them on a cutting board. They are not fully cooked at this point, that’s ok. We’ll have to cook them with the sauce later.
- Cut the meat into big strips, about an inch wide. See, if you have boneless chops will make this easier. Mine had bones 🙁
- Use low heat. Add onion to the pan, and stir fried it for 3 minutes or so.
- Add ketchup, oyster sauce, cooking wine, worchestershire sauce to the pan. Mix it well with the onion. Taste it. Add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Add the meat back to the pan and mix it well with the sauce. Use low heat. Cook it for another 3 mins or until the meat is fully cooked.