Sometimes I debate if I should share dishes that are too Chinese. LOL. A lot of my daily dishes are nothing like General Tso’s chicken or whatever Chop Suey. Lately I really missed some basic dishes that I grew up with. I sautéed some mustard greens tonight. I love mustard greens, so does my cat. LOL. When I opened a can of tuna, he would care less. But if I got some mustard greens, he would be right in my face. One time I left a bag of mustard greens on the counter. He jumped up and put his head in the bag and started chewing. LOL. He may be attracted by the unique taste of mustard greens. It has a little bit bitter taste and it certainly smells like mustard. I love Mustard Greens with Salted Egg Soup, Sautee Mustard Greens or even pickled Mustard Greens. They are all yummy. I saw a tray of mustard greens at a Chinese Buffet place one day, and I was surprised. I was like, “they serve this to Americans?” LOL. I didn’t know non-Chinese people would like this veggie cos it has a very unique flavor.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Mustard Greens, 1/3 pound (There are two kinds of mustard greens: one with a thicker stems, and another one with skinner stems. I used the one with the skinnier stems. See picture. Both are good)
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Giinger, 2 slices
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Chicken powder, ½ tsp
- Fish Sauce, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch, 1 tsp
- Water, 6 Tbsp
- Cut mustard greens into about 3 or 4 inches long pieces.
- Must wash the veggie! Unlike broccoli, or lettuce, leafy veggies like mustard greens may have a lot of soil on the leaves. Fill a big pot of cold water, and put the mustard greens into the pot and wash it for two times. Drain well.
- Finely chop garlic. Put it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water in a bowl. Put it aside.
- In a large frying pan, spray a little bit of oil. Use high heat. Add garlic and ginger slices. Let it cook for 30 seconds to release some flavor.
- Add mustard greens to the pan. Mix it well. Let it cook for a minute. Add chicken powder, fish sauce, and Chinese cooking wine. Let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture to the pot. Mix it well. Let it cook for a minute until the sauce thickens a bit. Taste it, add a pinch of salt if needed.