What a week! Busy, busy. People were sending me email late at night and telling me that this and that was urgent. I am also struggling with finishing the school assignment. It was really crazy. I got about 35 minutes for lunch today. I usually would make ramen noodles when I was in a rush. Today I made Pan Fried Tofu with some veggie instead. I was trying cut back on the starch. Tofu with veggie is probably the most simple and bland food ever. Tofu itself doesn’t have much taste. But a bland dish like this is good for complementing a meat or a spicy dish. I am eating this to be healthier and cut down the amount of meat and starch. Ya, I’m trying to lose weight. Since the dish is so simple, and the ingredients are pretty cheap, I don’t usually order it at a restaurant because I would feel that I got ripped off or something. LOL. But one time I did order this dish when I had dinner with my vegetarian friend. I ordered some meat dishes for myself and couple veggie dishes for her. I forgot the exact name of the dish on the menu. It could be just called something like Steamed Tofu and Chinese Vegetable. When the dish came, it had a few pieces of tofu, and couple of veggie, and some soy sauce poured over the dish. That was it. And they charged like $15 for a simple, inexpensive dish like this just because we ate at a fancy Chinese restaurant! Really, what a rip off! I could have made the same dish at home for less than $2. My vegetarian friend felt bad since it was my treat. It was alright, I did enjoy the dish. The tofu was silken. The veggie was yummy, and soy sauce was nice with a slight sweetness. Plus the company, priceless! I kind of made the same dish today except I pan fried it instead of steamed it.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Tofu, 1 pack medium or soft firm. Don’t get the silken, it will be too soft to pan fry. (I only made half of the tofu just for myself at lunch)
- Chinese vegetable, a small bunch (You can use any leafy veggie like Choy Sum. I used baby Bok Choy)
- Garlic Powder, a dash
- Salt, a dash
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp
- Sugar, ¼ tsp
- Cornstarch, 5 Tbsp
- Wash the veggie for couple of times. Drain and put it aside.
- Prepare the sauce: Put soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar in a bowl. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Cut tofu into thick pieces less than an inch thick. Use a paper towel to pat dry the tofu.
- Put the cornstarch on a plate. Coat tofu with the cornstarch.
- In a non-stick frying pan, spray cooking oil on it. Use medium heat. Add tofu to the pan. Make sure they don’t touch each other. Let it cook on one side for 5 to 7 minutes or until it is golden in color. Flip it over to the other side, and cook it for another 5-7 mins. Remove it from the pan. Put it on a serving plate.
- Add a little bit oil in the pan. Put the baby Bok Choy (or other leafy veggie) and stir fry it. Add a dash of salt and garlic powder. Mix it well. Cook it for 2 or 3 minutes or until it is cooked. Remove the veggie from the pan. Put it on the side of the tofu on the serving plate.
- Add some sauce to the tofu. Serve hot.