I grabbed a pack of sirloin tips from the freezer and let it defrost on the counter. I was starring at it and trying to figure out what I wanted to make for dinner. I cooked half of it for Beef and Tomato, I was wondering what else I could make. I could probably make Beef and Broccoli but I just broccoli for lunch. So I decided to try something new. I made Pepper Steak. I think I had Pepper Steak at a restaurant when I was in college. My college buddy ordered that. It wasn’t good at all. The beef was cut in really thick pieces and they were chewy. BTW, even though the dish is called Pepper Steak, don’t expect a huge piece of meat like what you get in a steak house. It’s not like that. The meat is usually cut in smaller mini steak sizes or like slices. I don’t mind thick pieces if the meat is good. But seriously, how often do you get good cut of beef from Chinese restaurants? At least not the ones from US! Unlike most Chinese, I’m a meat lover. I’m super picky about my steak. So to make this dish, I highly recommend you to make it at home, and use sirloin instead of other cut of beef. I also use red pepper instead of green pepper because I like the sweetness in red pepper more.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Sirloin tips, 1 pound
- Red/green pepper, 1
- Onion, 1
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Chicken powder, ½ tsp
- Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch, 2 tsp
- Water, 3 Tbsp
- Black pepper, a dash
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water and 1 tsp of oyster sauce. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Cut onion into strips, put it aside.
- Cut pepper into big strips/pieces. Put it aside.
- Chop garlic finely, put it in a mixing bowl. Add chicken powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp of cornstarch, cooking wine and a dash of black pepper. Put it aside.
- Cut beef into thin slices (or big slices or pieces depend on your likings. I cut mine thinly to make it cook faster). Add beef to the mixing bowl. Mix it well with the seasoning. Let it seasoned for 20 mins.
- Use a large frying pan. Spray non-stick cooking oil on it. Use high heat. Cook beef first. Stir fry it for two or three minutes until it looks mostly cooked. Put the beef on a plate. We’ll cook it later after the veggie.
- Spray a little more oil to the pan. Add the onion to the pan. You don’t have to wash the pan J Stir fry it for couple of minutes. Then add red peppers, and stir fry everything for another couple of minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pan. Add the cornstarch mixture. Mix everything well. Let it cook for a minute or two, or until the sauce thickens. Taste it. Add a pinch of salt if needed. Serve hot.