My god, what a week! I’m glad it was over. I was working like non-stop to meet my deadline. It was stressful. But I still pushed myself an hour to exercise, and watched out for what I ate and the portion that I ate. I lost 3 pounds this month. I am happy. Even though it wasn’t like a big loss in pounds, but I notice my tummy is getting smaller. The best of all, my clothes are not as tight!! 😀 I’ve been making a lot of Chicken and Broccoli and Shrimp and Asparagus. These two became my major healthy dishes. Both are super easy to make. I served them with brown rice. Half an hour was all I need to make the dinner from scratch. I can’t complain. The only part that I cheated was using read-made rice that can be prepared in the microwave for a few minutes. Hahaha.. But I think even if I made the rice in a rice cooker, it would just add 5 minutes to rinse the rice, it shouldn’t be a big deal. I got all my ingredients for the dish from Trader Joe’s. I got a bag of frozen jumbo shrimp that was peeled and cleaned, a bag of mushrooms that was sliced, and some asparagus. Now you know why this dish is so easy. There isn’t much preparation needed. Just stir fry everything and add a sauce, that’s pretty much it.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Big shrimp, 1 pound (if you get the peeled and cleaned ones, that would save you more time)
- Mushrooms, 1 package (I got a pack that was already pre-sliced)
- Asparagus, a big bunch
- Garlic, 1 or 2 cloves
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce, 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp
- White pepper, a dash
- Corn starch, 1.5 Tbsp
- Water, 5 Tbsp
- Peel and clean shrimp. Pat dry with a paper towel. Put it in a bowl. Add a teaspoon of cornstarch and a dash of white pepper to the shrimp. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Slice mushrooms. Put it aside.
- Rinse asparagus. You may want to get rid of the rough part. Just gently hold the asparagus towards the bottom end, then break it. Wherever it breaks, the bottom part is the tough part that is not so edible, discard that. Cut asparagus into halves (about 3 or 4 inches long). Put it aside.
- Finely chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic. Put it aside.
- Prepare for the sauce: add Chinese cooking wine, fish sauce, oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp of cornstarch, 5 Tbsp of water in a bowl. Mix it well, put it aside.
- Use a big frying pan. Spray non-stick cooking oil. Use high heat. Add garlic and shrimp to the pan. Lay the shrimp flat in one layer. Let it cook for a minute or so. Flip it over to the over side, it cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from pan. Note you don’t need to fully cook the shrimp because we will add it back to the pan later. So don’t worry about it.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus to the pan. Note you don’t need to clean the pan after cooking the shrimp, that’s the beauty of it. Stir fry the asparagus and mushroom for 2 to 3 minutes or until it get softens.
- Add sauce to the pan. Mix it well with the mushroom and asparagus. Cook it for a minute or so. Add shrimp to the pan. Mix everything well. Cook it for another minute or until the sauce thickens. Taste it. Add a dash of salt if needed. Add a little bit of water if the sauce gets too thick. Adjust according. Serve hot.