I’m guilty of eating bad this week. I was totally buried on my day job, and had 0 time to cook. I ate all sorts of junk like pizza, and take out. I had pork fried rice the other night from a take out place. It was greasy and had no taste, pretty gross. I finally get sometime to cook tonight after golf. I made a simple Shrimp Fried Rice. I used brown rice instead of white rice. I sprayed a little bit of oil when I fried it. I used soy beans instead of peas. I never like peas, I don’t know why. Soy beans gave extra fiber and protein to the dish. It was a quick fix meal ready in 20 minutes. And it was yummy and healthy. I need a lot of catch up this week since I ate bad last week.
Ingredients (serves 1 hungry portion or 2 side dishes portions)
- Cooked brown rice, 2 cups
- Uncooked shrimp, ½ pound, peeled
- Carrots, 1
- Onion, 1 small, chopped
- Soy bean, 1/2 to 1 cup (I used 1 cup)
- Egg, 1
- Scallion, 2 stalk
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 Tbsp
- Oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp
- White pepper, a dash
- Preheat leftover cooked brown rice in the microwave oven for a minute or until it is warm enough. Put it aside
- Chop scallion into dices. Put it aside.
- Cut carrots into cubes. Put it aside.
- Cut onion into dices. Put it aside.
- Finely chop garlic. Put it aside.
- In a large non stick frying pan, spray a little bit of cooking oil to cover the pan. Use high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and frozen soy beans to the pot. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add Chinese cooking wine. Let it cook for another minute.
- Add shrimp to the pot. Stir well. Let it cook for couple of minutes until it is cooked.
- Add rice. Mix it well with all the ingredients.
- Add an egg in the middle. Fold the rice from the side into the egg. Mix it well eventually. Let it cooked for a minute.
- Add oyster sauce and a dash of white pepper, mix it well. Taste it. Add a dash of salt if needed. Turn off the heat. Add chopped scallion. Mix it well. Serve hot.