It was nice to have a guest speaker in class today. I just wished she could have speeded up the pace. I was sitting in class and thinking I would not be able to get out in daylight. It was so slow and boring. I couldn’t help thinking of something else. I started to write down a shopping list, things that I needed to get from a Chinese grocery store nearby. I didn’t really make anything special to celebrate the Chinese New Year other than the Chinese Drunken Chicken dish. I felt like I needed to make up somehow. I made Steamed Garlic Shrimp tonight. This is my sister’s signature dish. She always make this whenever we have guests over for dinner. One time I helped her prepared this dish while she made something else. Instead of chopped garlic, I put a bunch of chopped ginger. Of course, you can imagine how surprised and not happy she was when the dish was cooked. I screwed up big time! She didn’t trust me in preparing any dish for her after that
Ingredients (Serves 2):
Big shrimp with shell (pawn would be even better) 3/4 pound
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Scallion, 1 stem
- Salt, a pinch
- Finely chop the garlic and scallion. Put the mixture in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Mix it well. Put it aside.
- Keep the shell on. Devein the shrimp by cutting a small slit at the back of the shrimp, and pull out the vein with the tip of a small pairing knife or a tooth pick.
- Use a pair of scissors. Trim off the legs of the shrimp. To butterfly the shrimp, cut a slit in the center of the shrimp. See picture.
- If you have a steamer and a plate that can fit into the steamer, you are fine. You can put the uncooked shrimp on that plate. Otherwise, you can try what I did. Use a piece of aluminum foil, put the shrimps in one layer on the foil.
- Use a small spoon, put a little bit of the garlic and scallion mixture on the shrimp.
- Foil the edges up to make a rectangular container. Add a second layer of the foil make the container more sturdy.
- Add enough water in the steamer. Let the water boil first.
- When water boils, add the shrimp to the steamer. Cover it with a lid and steam for 10 mins. Check after 10 mins if it is cooked. If not, cook it for another 2 mins. Turn off the heat. Remove the shrimp from the steamer immediately cos you don’t want to overcook it and have rubber shrimp instead.
Serve hot. Enjoy.