Have you tried any Chives dishes? Chives are one of those things that either you love it or you hate it. Some of my friends call them stinky vegetable because they have very strong smell. I love them, I think they are yummy and have a nice aroma. LOL. I especially love the dim sum dishes such as Pan Fried Chives and Pork dumplings. Whenever I go for dim sum, I would wait and wait until I get them. Not all restaurants serve that, so I could end up waiting for a long time and finally gave up. I went to a Chinese grocery store this afternoon. I passed by the seafood counter. I got some squid and I thought it may go well with some chives. Squid, on the other hand, is also another love or hate thing. They look absolutely yucky to me. My roommate back in my college days would never be able to try squid or calamari (if you have to give it a fancier name) because she couldn’t stand the look of it. I remember one time I put some dried cuttle fish in the vegetable compartment in the refridgerator. Cuttle fish and squid look similar BTW. She would not use the vegetable compartment at all. I found out the reason later, I thought it was funny. Of course, after I cooked the cuttle fish, I never put any weird looking thing in the refridgerator just to be considerate.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Squid, 1 pound
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Ginger, 2 slices
- Chives, a big bunch
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp
- Fish sauce, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch, 1 tsp
- Water, 2 Tbsp
- Finely chop the garlic. Put it aside.
- Cut chives into 3 inches length.
- The squid you get from grocery stores are usually cleaned already. I washed them again to make sure they are really cleaned.
- Cut squid into about 1 inch wide or bite sizes.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of cold water in a bowl. Mix well. Put it aside.
- Use a big pan. Spray cooking oil to it. Put garlic and ginger to the pan. Let it cook for 1 min.
- Add squid. Add chinese cooking wine, fish sauce and oyster sauce to the pan. Add cornstarch mixture. Mix them well. Stir fry it for 2 mins or until the sauce thickens. The squid should curls. That tells you it is cooked.
- Add chives to the pan. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Taste it. Add a dash of salt if needed.