I probably should eat more tofu. It is packed with tons of protein. Even though the taste is very bland, there is something wonderful about it that I love. I used to have a lot of tofu dishes growing up. One of the tofu dishes that I love is stuffed tofu. Whenever I came across a street vendor that sold deep fried food, I would order a couple of the deep fried stuffed tofu. It was crispy outside and soft and moist inside. It was steaming hot and I almost burn my tongue every time eating that. I could also find the same dish from dim sum restaurants. The pan fried it instead. Now that I’m on diet, I made the healthy steamed version instead. Actually the tofu was usually stuffed with ground fish meat. But I couldn’t find any ready made ground fish meat in regular American grocery stores. And I wasn’t sure I wanted to try grounding it myself. So, I decided to use shrimp instead. I don’t have a food processor. I was just chopping the shrimp into smaller pieces and then chop a lot more times to make it into a paste. I remember seeing mom did that when I was kid. I know that is do-able. I added some chopped onion with the ground shrimp meat. It turned out very delicious. I was proud of myself. It’s an easy dish to make. I was happy that I’m eating healthier.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Tofu, 1 pack
- Shrimp, ½ pound (You don’t need large shrimp, just get some smaller ones cos it is going to be ground anyway)
- Onion, finely chopped, about 3 tablespoon
- White pepper, a dash
- Chicken powder, ¼ tsp
- Salt, a dash
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Sugar, ¼ tsp
- Sesame oil, a few drops
- Chopped scallion, 1 stalk (optional for garnish)
- Finely chopped onion. Put it in a large mixing bowl.
- Shelled and cleaned shrimp. If you have a food processor, blend the shrimp into a paste. Or you can just cut the shrimp into small pieces first, then keep chopping it until it turned into a paste. It doesn’t take long, a few minutes will do. Add shrimp to the mixing bowl.
- Add a dash of salt, white pepper and chicken powder into the mixing bowl. Mix the shrimp, onion and everything together. Put it aside.
- Prepare the steamer. Put enough water in the steamer.
- While waiting for the steamer to get ready, cut tofu into thick slices about 1 inch thick. Lay it flat on a plate that will fit into a steamer. Or you can put it two pieces of aluminum foil like I did.
- Spread the shrimp mixture onto the tofu to make a thin layer.
- What the water boils, put the stuffed tofu into the steamer. Steam with the lid on for about 8 mins.
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce: add soy sauce, sugar and a few drops of sesame oil.
- When the stuffed tofu is done, discard excess water from the dish. Then drizzle the sauce over it. Add a few diced scallion for garnish if desired. Serve hot.