Happy Mother’s Day. It’s a nice day out there except a bit windy and cold, but still, it’s nice weather. I made Soft Shell Crab last night. I totally passed out after dinner. It was a long day for me. I had an in class exam yesterday, and I was just so happy that it was over even though I didn’t do too well. I stopped by a grocery store and got food after that. My buddy at the seafood counter was recommending me to get soft shell crab. My first reaction was like: 1. I don’t know how to clean them, and 2, I don’t know how to cook them. He said he’ll clean them for me.. Sweet . Then he said “deep fry them”. I was like “not good” because I’m on diet. I’ve been trying hard to lose weight. I’m not deep frying nothing. So he suggested to coat them in some flour and pan fried them. I’ve never cooked any crab in my life other than crab legs. But I felt adventurous yesterday, and there was always first time for anything. It was kind of funky when I touch them as they were soft before they were cooked. I coated them in cornstarch, and then pan fried them. They turned out pretty good. It wasn’t as crunchy as if they were deep fried, but I was sure my body thanked me for doing the right thing. Beside, the whole thing was edible. I didn’t have to spend any effort to separate the shell from the meat like the regular crabs, or worry about the shell cut my tongue. Ya. I didn’t have good experience with crab when I was a kid. Just too much work for eating that little meat.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Soft Shell Crabs, 2 (I made 1 per person, you can have more if you prefer)
- Scallops, 1 pound
- Cornstarch, 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Vinegar, 1 tsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Let’s prepare the dipping sauce first. Finely chopped the garlic, put it in a small bowl. Add soy sauce, sugar, vinegar to the bowl. Put it aside.
- Clean the soft shell crabs, and dry them with paper towel. Coat them with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Put them aside.
- Dry the scallop with paper towel. Put it aside.
- In a large frying pan, put in some cooking oil or spray non-stick cooking oil. Use medium high heat. Ad soft shell crabs to the pan first since they take longer time to cook. Let them cook for 3 mins. Flip them over. Let them cook for another 3 mins.
- Then add scallops to the pan, and cook them for 3 mins on each side. While the scallops are being cooked, flip the crabs over occasionally to check if they are golden brown in color. Also check if they feel harder as they are cooked. For the scallops, if they are fully cooked, they should be more white in color, and not translucent. Add a dash of salt to the scallops.
- Serve hot. Serve the dish with dipping sauce on the side.