Christmas is over, and the new year is around the corner. It looks like people are partying non-stop these days. At least I know I’ve been eating and eating. LOL. Here is another great party food – Shrimp Cocktail. Everyone loves shrimp cocktail. A lot grocery stores sell shrimp cocktail in a round plastic box. Those are not so good. Some of the texture was kind of slimy like a raw shrimp. I’m not a fan of raw seafood. So, that would be yucky for me. The shrimp cocktail offered in most of the fancy restaurants are really big and succulent, but they are expensive. I remember having a dinner at Marc Charles steak house. They charge the shrimp cocktail by the piece. I think each shrimp is like US$7 or $8 dollars. So how many can we order? We can’t get one or two, that’s awful. Hahahahaha. Anyway, I learned how to make shrimp cocktail at home after that. These days, I would bring some shrimp cocktail to friends’ parties. It’s inexpensive to make if you can get some good shrimp. I usually would go to a Chinese grocery store to get the big shrimp as the shrimp is a lot bigger than what I can get from a regular American grocery store, and the price is cheaper too. So for $10 or less, I got myself a fancy appetizer that feeds at least 3 or 4 people
- Large shrimp, 1 pound
- Water, 4 cups
- Ice cubes, plenty
- Shell and devein the shrimp first.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl with ice cubes and cold water.
- In a large pot or pan. Add 4 cups of water in it. Use medium high heat. Boil the water first.
- When the water is almost boiling, add shrimp to it. Stir/flap the shrimp a few times so that it cooks evenly. Cook it for 2 mins or until it turns solid in color (not translucent).
- Use a drainer or a ladle with holes, put shrimp in the large mixing bowl with ice cubes. This will stop the cooking right away. Let the shrimp soak in the water for a few minutes or until it is cold enough. BTW, the water in the pot has a lot of flavor, you can save that for making soup. Just make sure you heat up the water until it boils before you put it away in the refrigerator for later use.
- Discard the ice water and ice cubes. Serve the shrimp with cocktail sauce. You can chill the shrimp a bit more in the refrigerator if needed before serving.