One of my new year resolutions is definitely to lose weight and eat healthier. A few of my friends are trying the clean eating stuff, which means no dairy, no red meat. I don’t know if I can do that since I’m such a meat lover, but I certainly want to try eating more veggie. I made vegetable fried rice the other day cos I didn’t have any meat at home. It has been snowing so much in NY, and I kind of stuck at home for days and didn’t get a chance to go grocery shopping. But the dish turned out really yummy. I didn’t feel deprived. I’m going to make it a few more times. Plus, it does fit into the clean eating rules.
Ingredients (Serves 2 as side dish or 1 as main dish for a hungry man):
- Cooked brown rice, 2 cups
- Soy beans, 1 cup
- Sweet corn, ½ cup
- Celery, 2 stalk
- Carrot, 2 stalk
- Mushrooms, 5 or 6
- Onion, ½
- Garlic, 1 clove
- Egg, 1
- Oyster sauce, 1 tsp (you can use the vegetarian oyster sauce if you are a vegetarian)
- Soy sauce, 1 tsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp
- Salt, a dash
- White pepper, a dash
- Sesame oil, a few drops (optional)
- Peel and cut carrots into small cubes, like 1 cm long. Put it aside.
- Cut celery into small cubes. Put it aside.
- Cut mushrooms into slices. Put it aside.
- Cut onion into small dices. Put it aside.
- Finely chop garlic. Put it aside.
- Use a large frying pan, spray non-stick cooking oil on it. Use high heat, cook carrots first. Let it cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add soy beans, onion and garlic. Mix it well. Add cooking wine. Cook it for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add celery, sweet corn, mushrooms, and rice. Mix everything well. If the rice is too hard, add a tablespoon of water.
- Dig a hole in the middle of the rice. Add the egg. Buried the egg with some rice. Let it cook for 30 seconds or so before mixing it.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and white pepper. Mix it all well.
- Taste it. Add a dash of salt if needed. Add sesame oil if desire.